University of Exeter Business School
Tel: +44 (0)1392 725269
What support we offer our Postgraduate students in the Business School:
- Your Future First: The Business School have designed an exclusive pre-arrival module for postgraduate offer-holders on selected programmes*, supporting students to make the most of the dedicated careers service available to them while at Exeter and beyond. Before even starting at Exeter, the module will introduce employability concepts which are an essential part of personal career action planning, as well as provide an insight into the graduate labour market and encourage you to develop the skills required to succeed in both UK and global business environments.
- Book a 1 to 1 appointment with a Employability & Careers Consultant: these appointments last around 30 minutes and are completely confidential. An appointment is individual to you and your needs, you are the expert of your own life and as such our advice is completely impartial based on your careers ideas. A Careers Consultant can help you to focus on what interests you and enable you to take ownership of your career planning, making suggestions for actions you can take to make your own choices, as well as providing insight into the current labour market. Or you could use the appointment for help finishing an application or preparing for an upcoming interview, to get ideas for gaining relevant experience and developing your skills, or to discuss opportunities for further learning and study. Whatever you need, our team are here to support you and you can book additional appointments should and when you need.
- Attend an optional workshop designed specifically for postgraduates in the Business School on a range of topics from career exploration to self-awareness, or specific skills sessions on preparing for interviews, creating an online presence and finding work experience and internships. Some workshops feature alumni and professionals talking about how they developed their employability while they were students.
- We run the bespoke China Career Ready programme for our students from China who wish to prepare themselves for returning home to pursue a graduate career or are seeking employment opportunities in the UK or elsewhere. This course can also help students of other nationalities who would like to pursue employment opportunities in China.
- We are developing the bespoke India Career Ready programme for our students from India who wish to prepare themselves for returning home to pursue a graduate career or are seeking employment opportunities in the UK or elsewhere. This course can also help students of other nationalities who would like to pursue employment opportunities in India.
- We frequently have employers visit us on campus and virtually to share their insights into a profession or attend one of our popular Careers & Internships fairs. Listening to others and asking questions about a profession can really help you think about your own employability and build a professional network, as well as give you exposure to graduate recruitment opportunities and schemes. Recent examples of employers visiting campus are JP Morgan, IBM, L'Oreal, GSK and Deloitte.
- We have an Employer Engagement Officer who works specifically on building relationships and networks with graduate recruiters in China and SE Asia. Examples of upcoming events and opportunities include HSBC, Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, PayPal, Ernst & Young, and KPMG.
- There are opportunities to develop your employability skills and international competencies by undertaking a study abroad option: there are short-term Summer Schools, some of which are credit-rated depending on your programme of study, the QTEM programme aimed at students with quantitative backgrounds, which combines a study abroad semester and internship following your academic studies at Exeter, plus Double Degree options in France and China.
- Ask a career question through the eXepert Scheme. Ask an Exeter Alum working in your field of interest career questions via a short email exchange
- Apply for a career mentor (an experienced professional who will meet with you regularly over a 6 month period) for sector insight and one-to-one careers advice and guidance
- Browse our huge library of digital resources, such as the industry insights section of My Career Zone Digital (this is a great resource to look at before your course begins)
- Attend Skills Sessions to brush up on skills such as Teamwork or Problem Solving
- Take part in the Exeter Award. Completing the Award will help you make the most of your professional experience. You'll receive training in valuable professional skills, develop vital workplace experience and learn how to optimise your CVs and application forms.