Building Relationships and Communication
This module will focus on how to build effective collaborative relationships including managing conflict and earning trust.
Apprentices will examine working patterns and how to work collaboratively across teams to communicate decisions made and problems solved.
Apprentices will seek to understand different areas of operation within an organisation and learn how to create productive relationships outside of their own function.
There will also be an emphasis on interpersonal skills including how to effectively communicate whilst developing an awareness of emotional and social intelligence.
Full module specification
|Module title:||Building Relationships and Communication|
|Duration of module:||
Duration (weeks) - term 1: |
- Consider, explore and understand teams shift patterns and how they effectively meet the needs of the employee, customer and the business. Understand how to effectively communicate the patterns and requirements to the team.
- Explore the different relationships required within the team and organisation to understand the different approaches to partner, stakeholder and supplier relationship management including negotiation, influencing, delegation and effective networking to get the right things done.
- Learn how to earn the trust and respect of the team to build positive working relationships by consistently making good decisions, keeping commitments, treating others and their ideas with respect whilst adhering to ethical standards and appreciating diversity.
- Explore how to create an environment where team members have room to take smart risks and learn from mistakes whilst not losing sight of accountability for results. Understand how to refer People Policy questions to your line manager or HRAP on shift.
- Learn how to build relationships on trust by actively listening and speaking candidly even if that results in being vocally self-critical, even when doing so is awkward or embarrassing. Have the ability to benchmark themselves and their teams against the best.
- Explore how to work collaboratively across teams to enable delivery of results through others and confidently share best practice. Be brave to handle potential conflict by understanding how to flex communication styles to meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Evaluate influencing & negotiating theories and models. Consider the effectiveness of these within the organisation to manage supplier relationships through stakeholder management (K6)
- 2. Discuss how to build collaborative relationships built on trust and play to peoples strengths within teams (K6) (S6) (B1)
- 3. Analyse barriers to communication and how to overcome these using conflict resolution, the escalation process and recognising when help is required (K6) (K7) (K8) (S6) (S8) (B1)
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. Review how to use interpersonal skills including active listening, challenging and providing constructive feedback whilst seeking views of others and ensuring diversity is valued (K7) (S7) (B2)
- 5. Analyse shift patterns and effectively communicate decisions made which provide the best result for the employee, customer and business (K10) (S10)
- 6. Practice how to effectively communicate when chairing or presenting a meeting and effectively engages the audience (K7) (S7) (B2)
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 7. Demonstrate how to network more confidently
- 8. Demonstrate how to delegate effectively (K8) (S8)
- 9. Reflect on ability to make ethical decisions (K8) (K10) (S9)
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Masterclass||15||Faculty led workshops face to face on campus at Exeter University|
|Webinars||1||Online action learning set facilitated by module lead|
|121 tutorial time||1||Time with module lead to ask additional questions to cement learning|
|Independent study and work based practice||133||Guided independent study through online learning activities. Reading, case studies, professional practice forums, assignment writing and time at work|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Group case study activity||1 hour activity and feedback||1-9||Verbal, peer and lecturer|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Case study including reflective journal||50||1500 words||1-9||Written via ELE|
|Assignment||50||750 words||1-3||Written via ELE|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Case study including reflective journal||As previous||1-9||Next re-assessment period|
|Assignment||As previous||1-3||Next re-assessment period|
All passed components of the module will be rolled forward and will not be reassessed in the event of module failure.
Defer – as first time
Refer – capped at 50%
3 Day Masterclass
Introduce negotiating and influencing theories and models and discuss these within the context of apprentice’s own organisation/ workplace
Activities and exercises to explore trust and building effective relationships with stakeholders
Communication exercises to practice effective communication approaches and gaining perspective on communication differences in the workplace
Role play networking and relationship building in face to face workshops, develop own practice using peer and lecturer feedback.
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
- Managing Conflict: A practical guide to resolution in the work place – David Liddle
- Emotional Intelligence – Why it can matter more than IQ – Daniel Goleman
- 7 habits of highly effective people – Stephen R Covey
- Effective Communication – The most important management skill of all – John Adair
- The Art of Connection: 7 Relationship Building skills every leader needs to know – Michael J Gelb
Module has an active ELE page?
Indicative learning resources - Other resources
- 4 Quadrants of Psychological Safety
- Communication Cycle
- Personality Profiling – DISC, Myers Briggs, Insights, Tetra Map, Belbin
- TRUST equation
- Stakeholder Map
Last revision date