Professor Emma Jeanes
Associate Professor in Organisation Studies and Deputy Head of Department for Organisatioinal Behaviour and Human Resources Management
+44 (0) 1392 724518
Streatham Court 0.79
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Professor Emma Jeanes is an Associate Professor at the Exeter Business School, University of Exeter and was previously affiliated to Lund University, Sweden (2011-2012) alongside her position at Exeter. Prior to her appointment, she worked at Cardiff University. She conducts research within the broad area of organisational behaviour and organisation theory, particularly gender and inclusivity at work and also has an interest in organising in rural contexts.
Prof. Jeanes is currently working on an ERDF funded project - The Inclusivity Project - that aims to support SMEs in Cornwall recruiting and retaining older, long-term sick and disabled workers. Emma has recently worked with the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts to redesign their global Leadership Development Programme for young women, and launched a Future Learn MOOC on Gender Inequality in 2019. She has also run Gender Equality training sessions for secondary schools as part of the ESRC Festival of Social Science scheme. Her earlier work focused on public services, including the NHS and Housing Association sector.
She has previously acted as an Associate Editor for Gender, Work and Organization, and as a member of the editorial board of Journal of Finance and Management in Public Services and the Series Editor of Gender and Organization Theory (Ashgate Publishing). She co-edited the Wiley Handbook in Gender, Work and Organization (2011) with David Knights and Patricia Yancey Martin, and Men, Wage Work and Family (2012) with Paula McDonald. Prof. Jeanes publishes in journals such as British Journal of Management, Journal of Management Inquiry; Gender, Work and Organization, Public Administration, Scandinavian Journal of Management, and Creativity and Innovation Management and Organization. Her research has been funded by the ESRC, Housing Corporation, Handelsbanken Foundation, ERDF, the British Academy, GW4, and Defra.
Professor Jeanes is head of Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources Management, and was previously Head of Department for Management, Head of Department for Organisation Studies, Head of Taught Programmes, Head of Undergraduate Studies, and has undertaken a number of other administrative roles during her time at Exeter, including: Ethics Officer, Exams Officer, MRes Programme Director, Admissions Tutor, and Editor of the working paper series. She has also chaired and been a member of a number of school committees, and served on various University-level committees.
Emma is currently the School's Athena Swan Lead and Advanced Teaching Practitioner (Digital Lead) for the Department of Management, and sits on the University's Gender Pay Gap Committee.
Emma’s research draws on sociology and philosophy; she was awarded her MA in Political Theory (Distinction) from Exeter in 2009 which she undertook part-time alongside her employment at Exeter.
BSc (Econ and Management) (Cardiff), Dipl (SocSciResMeths) (Cardiff), PhD (Cardiff),
MA (Political Theory) (Exeter)
Awarded LTHE Accreditation in 2002
Academic Associate Member of CIPD
Research group links
Experiences of work, gender, discrimination, and inclusivity at work; adopts an historical, sociological and philosophical approach to research alongside empirical study.
- Gender & discrimination
- Organising for inclusivity
External Engagement and Impact
- External Examiner, University of Wales (2020-)
- Visiting Academic, University of Colorado (2019)
- Visiting Academic, Copenhagen Business School (2019)
- Invited researcher, Lund University (2011-2012)
- Visiting Academic, Sydney University (2011)
- Visiting Academic, Lund University (2010)
- Visiting Academic, Queensland University of Technology (2004, 2005, 2011)
- Associate Editor, Gender, Work and Organization (until 2020)
- External Examiner at UEA, Norwich Business School (2009-2013)
- External Examiner at University of Bristol, Department of Management (2009-2013)
- Series Editor, Gender and Organization Theory, Ashgate Publishing
- Previously, member, Editorial Board, Journal of Finance and Management in Public Services
TeachingProfessor Jeanes teaches in the area of organisational behaviour, organisational theory and research methodology, and runs an executive education Leadership and Change module.
Emma taught BEM2020 and BEM2004 Organisational Behaviour for over 10 years at Exeter, and Business and Management Research Skills on the MRes. Prior to that she taught Public Sector Management on the MBA at Exeter.
Emma has also taught internationally, in Sweden, Australia and Sharjah.
Supervision / Group
- Hassan Juda (first supervisor)
- Ajlaa Mokhtar (second supervisor)
- Polina Nikolaou (first supervisor)
- Shirley Pulis-Xerxen (first supervisor/ part-time)
- Lubna Almasri (first supervisor): PhD awarded
- Laura Bonner (sole supervisor): PhD awarded
- Rachel Gibson (first supervisor): PhD awarded
- Vanessa Iwowo (second supervisor): PhD awarded
- Padraic McMickle (first supervisor): MPhil awarded