Dr Marwa Tourky
Senior Lecturer in Marketing
+44 (0) 1392 725972
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Marwa is a senior lecturer in Marketing at the Business School. Her research focuses on corporate identity, communications and reputation management.
Her main research focus is on corporate marketing particularly corporate brand, identity and reputation management. She also works on integrated marketing communications (IMC) and CSR. In addition, her research examines the links between western and eastern social relationship networks, including guanxi, and wasta. Her research has appeared in European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Corporate Reputation Review, and Qualitative Market Research: an International Journal.
Dr Tourky holds a PhD from Hull University Business School, where she also earned her Masters degree.
Nationality: British Egyptian
- Programme Director, BA Business Studies
- The Business School Academic Liaison officer for Exeter College
- The Business School Library Liaison Officer
BSc (Hons), MRes (Distinction), PhD, PgCert, FHEA
- Corporate Brand, Identity and Reputation Management
- Corporate and Marketing Communications
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Social Networks
- Relationship Marketing
Marwa is currently working on a broad range of projects with collaborators from both the UK and worldwide. Marwa’s research focuses on four areas. First, on exploring the meaning and dimensions of corporate identity, in different contexts, and creating a toolkit for corporate identity management. Second, on examining the influence of various organisational factors (including core values and culture) and business dynamics on reputation building. Third, on the influence of integrated marketing communication (IMC) on brand performance. Fourth, on the role of social networks in attracting and maintain new customers.
Marwa is currently working on a number of externally and internally funded research projects. Marwa is Principal Investigator (PI) on ESRC funded project “Exploring the determinants of an effective implementation of Surfwell and measuring its impact on employees’ wellbeing ”. In collaboration with Devon and Cornwall police (DCP), this project explores the effectiveness of surfing intervention for improving mental health and wellbeing in the workplace. This high-profile project seeks to equipping DCP managers with a tool (framework) of determinants and best-practice dimensions for the successful implementation of Surfwell programme.
Marwa is Co-I on HEFCE funded project “Leadership Development for Public Service Mutual Libraries”, researching how libraries can maximise their social and economic value for a broad group of stakeholders including Libraries Unlimited, Explore York Libraries & Archives Mutual Limited, Suffolk Libraries IPS and California State Library. This high-profile project seeks to help libraries develop and capture their impact on local communities, and connect this social value to financial value using alternative forms of organizing independent from the public.
Marwa is also Co-I on Transforming Transitions research project, which examines and challenges potential barriers experienced by students with BTEC qualifications as they apply for, and then enter, higher education. "Transforming Transitions” led by Professor Debra Myhill, received £500,000 funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).
- Mengqi Zhong who is exploring corporate reputation management in social enterprises.
- Mohamed Adel who is investigating the relationship between brand experience and corporate reputation in hotel industry.
Dr Tourky would be interested in supervising doctoral research following a positivist or pragmatic approach in studying the dynamics of identity, reputation and communications fields from both corporate and consumer perspectives.
Publications by category
Publications by year
- Vice-Chair of South West Federation of Museums and Art Galleries Board of Trustees.
- External Examiner for BSc Business and Management, Brunel University London.
- External Examiner for BA Business and Marketing and BA Advertising and Marketing, Coventry University.
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Member of the American Academy of Advertising
- Member of the Academy of Marketing (AM)
- Member of Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- Member of the British Academy of Management (BAM)
- Co-Chair of the 23rd International Conference in Corporate and Marketing Communications (CMC)
- Special Issue Guest Editor, Journal of Marketing Communications
Marwa is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. She is a passionate teacher and keen to promote academic rigour, practical application as well as a high level of student engagement in the classroom. Her teaching centres around marketing communications.
She is always looking for enthusiastic and experienced people from the private, public and not-or-profit sectors to share their insights and expertise in lectures and seminars. She is also keen to connect alumni with current students to share experiences and knowledge about their career choices in marketing communications, advertising and branding. Please contact Marwa directly if you are interested in engaging.
- BEM2025 - Marketing Communications: Strategies and Applications
- BEMM166 - Integrated Marketing Communications