Lecturer in Accounting and Finance and Management
+44 (0) 1392 725614
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Joanne has 15 years’ experience as a Chartered Management Accountant within a number of industries (food manufacturing, energy, banking, not-for-profit, telecommunications) and in a wide variety of roles and responsibilities. She particularly excels in supporting non-financial managers in developing and achieving strategic and operational goals, implementing IT, audit, and cost-management projects, and reviewing, developing, implementing, and managing operational and financial practices.
Her teaching philosophy and methods are based around “Enable, Encourage, Empower for Employability”. She has over 12 years’ experience in teaching a variety of modules at foundation, degree and masters level programmes based upon these principles and in both South-East Asia and the UK. She is a strong believer in learning for a purpose, and her teaching and assessment is designed around business context and in developing skills for future application in study and employment.
- Personal / Academic Tutor: Accounting & Finance International Partnerships
She was awarded Most Supportive Personal Tutor at the 2018 University of Exeter Teaching Awards. She often receives recognition for her pastoral and employability support of students, particularly those with an international background.
- Senior Personal / Academic Tutor for the Accounting and Finance department.
- Accredited Internal Coach: Joanne is the only academic at the University of Exeter to have this recognition
- UEBS Direct EntryStudent Support Lead
- Internal Coach (Notion)
- Chartered Managment Accountant (CIMA)
- University of Cambridge Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) grade B
- BA (Hons) European Business with French
A rich professional skills and experience background, with achievement Her professional career which has spanned across a number of industries and organisations in a wide variety of roles and responsibilities. Particular achievements in a range of process-orientated and goal-focussed roles and projects.
Experience in teaching at a range of academic levels across South-East Asia and the UK.
Particular interests in supporting and developing students from China and Asia.
- Accredited Internal Coach (AIC)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Associate Chartered Management Accountant (ACMA)
- Certified Management and Business Educator (CMBE).
- Most Supportive Personal Tutor :
- 2018 University of Exeter Student Guild Teaching Awards.
- 2018 University of Exeter Business School Teaching Awards (Accounting & Finance)
- 2019 University of Exeter Business School Teaching Awards (Accounting & Finance)
- 2020: Shortlist University of Exeter Business School Teaching Awards
Joanne currently teaches Accounting to a wide variety of post-graduate students across a range of MSc programmes offered by the Business School and other University colleges.
2021 / 22:
- BEAM045 - Accounting for International Managers (mulitple MSc programmes)
- MBAM964 - Understanding our World: Accounting & Finance lead - Exeter MBA progamme
Previously taught modules
University of Exeter:
- BEA1005 - Management Concepts and Practices
- BEA1009 - Introduction To Management Accounting
- BEA2010 - Managerial Accounting
- BEA2017 - Intermediate Management Accounting
- BEA2017A, BEA2017K - Intermediate Management Accounting
- BEAM025 - Advanced Management Accounting
- BEMM127 - Business Skills for International Film Business
- PG: Advanced Management Accounting
- UG3: Management Accounting Control Systems
- UG3: Advanced Financial Reporting
- UG2: Accounting Information Systems
- UG1: Management Accounting Decisions
- UG1: Business Finance
- UG1: Financial Accounting
- Foundation: Principles of Accounting