Lecturer in Accounting and Finance and Management
+44 (0) 1392 725614
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Joanne is a Lecturer in Accounting & Management at our Business School.
She has 15 years’ experience as a Chartered Management Accountant within a number of industries and in a wide variety of roles and responsibilities, especially supporting non-financial managers in developing and achieving strategic and operational goals, implementing IT, audit, and cost-management projects, and reviewing, developing, implementing, and managing operational and financial practices.
Her teaching philosophy and methods are based around “Enable, Encourage, Empower for Employability”. She has over 10 years’ experience in teaching a variety of modules at foundation, degree and masters level programmes based upon these principles and in both South-East Asia and the UK. She is a strong believer in learning for a purpose, and her teaching and assessment is designed around business context and in developing skills for future application in study and employment.
As well as being the Senior Personal Academic Tutor for the Accounting and Finance department, Joanne is also the only academic at the University of Exeter to have recognition as an Accredited Internal Coach. She was awarded Most Supportive Personal Tutor at the 2018 University of Exeter Teaching Awards. She often receives recognition for her pastoral and employability support of students, particularly those with an international background.
- Accredited Internal Coach
- FHEA Fellow Higher Education Academy
- CGMA Chartered Global Management Accountant
- ACMA Associate Chartered Management Accountants
- Associate member of Chartered Management Institute.
- BA Hons European Business with French
- Diplome Universitaire de Technologie - Gestion des Entreprises et des Adminstrations, Grenoble, France
- CELTA (University of Cambridge)
Graduating in BA (Hons) European Business and French, Joanne accepted a Graduate Trainee role in industry, and qualified as a Chartered Management Accountant. Her professional career has spanned across a number of industries and organisations in a wide variety of roles and responsibilities.
Her academic career started in South-East Asia in 2008. She has since designed, led, and taught a wide range of accounting and management subjects from foundation to post-graduate years of study. She currently teaches across a range of non-accounting post-graduate programmes. She is keen to close the gap between academic study and business application.
Joanne currently teaches Accounting to a wide variety of post-graduate students across a range of MSc programmes offered by the Business School and other University colleges.
Previously taught modules
University of Exeter:
- BEA1005 - Management Concepts and Practices
- BEA1009 - Introduction To Management Accounting
- BEA2010 - Managerial Accounting
- BEA2017 - Intermediate Management Accounting
- BEA2017A, BEA2017K - Intermediate Management Accounting
- BEAM025 - Advanced Management Accounting
- BEMM127 - Business Skills for International Film Business
- PG: Advanced Management Accounting
- UG3: Management Accounting Control Systems
- UG3: Advanced Financial Reporting
- UG2: Accounting Information Systems
- UG1: Management Accounting Decisions
- UG1: Business Finance
- UG1: Financial Accounting
- Foundation: Principles of Accounting