This module aims to kick start the personal transformation process of MBA participants and prepare you for your return to work by integrating professional practice into the MBA curriculum and supporting you in your personal and professional development through an emphasis on the refining of leadership, people management skills, the development of a global mindset and the acquisition and refining of executive and professional skills. The module builds on the recommendations of joint research undertaken by the Association of Business Schools (ABS) and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) coupled with the MBA graduate attributes defined by AMBA all aimed at meeting the growing demands from employers for more business-ready graduates.
Internationalisation: All topics are explored in a global context to reflect the variety of countries and cultures in which you may wish to pursue your career. The concept of a global mindset is explored extensively within this module and across the programme more generally.
Employability: You will develop a number of valuable transferable skills, including: self-awareness, cultural awareness, influencing, communication, networking (in person and via social media), negotiating, leadership, and the capacity for personal reflection on strengths, values, competencies and experience. You will also develop a number of career management skills which will enable you to make informed career choices and help you succeed in securing your next job.
External Engagement: Workshops and guest speaker events are delivered by a wide range of experienced practitioners and recruiting managers both on campus and at host venues.
Research in Teaching: The module builds on recent research and scholarship in the field of personal transformations, n particular responsible leadership, purpose, sense making and authenticity.
Full module specification
|Module title:||Personal Transformations|
|Duration of module:||
Duration (weeks) - term 1: |
1Duration (weeks) - term 2:
1Duration (weeks) - term 3:
Through an emphasis on experiential learning the module aims to equip you with the leadership, executive and professional skills you will require in order to redirect your career and/or develop into more senior leadership roles. To support you in your personal transformation process you will be guided by the MBA Career Adviser through one-to-one career coaching, career development workshops and seminars, mentoring and personal tutoring.
Through reflective experiential learning, you will embark on a journey of critical thinking, self- discovery and personal development. Your journey will be guided by an individualised personal development plan in which you will reflect upon your passion and purpose and from this you will have an opportunity to focus on developing the qualities relevant to your ambitions. For inspiration, guidance and support a series of lectures, action learning seminars, and workshops will be offered. At all times students have the support of the MBA faculty to act as a critical friend.
The aim of the module is to enable you to
- Identify the personal and professional attributes that you currently hold
- Develop critical reflection skills to enhance personal transformation
- Develop yourself, personally and professionally to facilitate your return to work
- Through a process of ongoing reflection, work alongside others to develop interpersonal skills
- Reflect upon what it means to lead responsibly, drawing from across the MBA experience as a whole
- Make use of extensive career resources specially developed for MBA participants
Integrate feedback from professional mentors, peers and MBA faculty in personal development planning.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. draw upon critical reasoning to shape and develop own approach to responsible leadership
- 2. acquire, refine and demonstrate evidence of post graduate study, further developing both interpersonal and professional skills
- 3. act proactively and take responsibility for your own career and professional development
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. demonstrate a skilful, reflective and a generally well-informed appreciation of what is involved in communicating effectively
- 5. critically appraise your personal effectiveness and use this reflection to produce materials suited to career enhancement
- 6. engage with a range of practices in order to shape your own personal and professional development plan
- 7. connect to others by developing authentic, effective and productive relationships
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 8. managing Self in the achievement of career goals reviewing own learning
- 9. acquire a global mind-set enabling you to lead, manage and work with others in culturally diverse and politically complex environments
- 10. develop a critically reflective process to ask questions and open up own perspective
- 11. self appraise own actions in order to learn and transform professional practice
- 12. reflect on your personal strengths, values and communication style and weaknesses, and integrate insights generated in your career development process
- 13. give, receive and make use of constructive feedback in order to develop your skills, knowledge and competency.
Kick-starting your Personal Transformation
Self and career option analysis
Personal and professional development plan
Networking, locally and globally
Self-presentation: LinkedIn and CV
Powerful applications: cover letters, application forms, assessment centres
Executive and Professional Skills
Effective communication skills
Professional and academic writing skills
Good academic practice and avoiding plagiarism
Effective team working skills
Negotiating and influencing skills
Your Personal Transformation
Interview techniques and professional impact interviews
Practice assessment centres and psychometric testing
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Bolton, R. and Grover Bolton, D. (2009) People Styles at Work. AMACOM. New York
Burnett, B. and Evans, D. (2016) Designing Your Life. Penguin Random House: London
Clark T., Osterwader A. and Pigneur Y. (2012) Business Model You: A One Page Method for Reinventing your Career, John Wiley & Sons
Cottrell, s. (2015) Skills for Success: 3rd edition. Palgrave Macmillan. London