Sustainability and Circular Economy research cluster
'Philosophy, strategy and governance systems of sustainability' theme
The concept of sustainability has spawned hundreds of definitions and countless books, academic courses and government policies. In this theme, we examine the sustainability narrative and discourse in detail, exploring the epistemologies and philosophies of people-nature relations.
We’re also attentive to the inner, personal, dimensions of social change, what sustainable leadership means and whether and how sustainability can be taught. We also investigate how sustainability theory is operationalised. Our research delves into such areas as the true impact of sustainability reporting, the way business is engaging with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, and the utility of concepts such as natural capital accounting. We also investigate new governance systems, such as multi-stakeholder and political CSR approaches to corporate sustainability and responsibility.
- Katsaliaki, K. and Mustafee, N. (2015). "Edutainment for Sustainable Development: A survey of games in the field". Simulation & Gaming, 46(6):647-672. Sage. DOI: 10.1177/1046878114552166.
- Katsaliaki, K. and Mustafee, N. (2013). "Serious Games for Sustainable Development". Journal of Management Education, 37(6): 889 894. SAGE. DOI: 10.1177/1052562913509219.
- Jia, F., Gosling, J., & Witzel, M. (2015). Sustainable Champions: How International Companies are Changing the Face of Business in China. Greenleaf Publishing.
- Boehm, S., Bharucha, Z. and Pretty, J. (eds) 2014. Ecocultures: Blueprints for Sustainable Communities. London: Routledge.
- Kumar, K. Michelon, G., and Boesso, G. (forthcoming). How do strengths and weaknesses in corporate social performance across different stakeholder domains affect company performance: an empirical investigation. Business Strategy and the Environment.
- Michelon, G., Pilonato, S., and Ricceri, F. 2015. CSR reporting practices and the quality of disclosure: an empirical analysis. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 33, 59-78.
- Cho, C.H., Michelon, G., Patten, D.M., and Roberts, R.W. 2015. CSR disclosure: the more things change…?. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal 28(1), 14 – 35 IF: 1.01.
- Maier, M. Michelon. G., Schneider, T. (forthcoming). Environmental liabilities and diversity in practice under International Financial Reporting Standards. Accounting Auditing Accountability Journal.
- Moog, S., Spicer, A. and Boehm, S., 2014. ‘The Politics of Multi-Stakeholder Governance Initiatives: The Case of the Forest Stewardship Council’, Journal of Business Ethics, 128 (3), 469-493.