Dissertation for MRes Mgt
The module aims to enable you to conduct an in-depth enquiry into a relevant and approved area of study in the field of business administration. The module aims to provide you with a context in which to apply and synthesise the knowledge and skills that have been developed through the taught modules.
Full module specification
|Module title:||Dissertation for MRes Mgt|
|Duration of module:||
Duration (weeks) - term 2: |
The aims of the dissertation are:
• To allow the student to pursue a programme of independent research on a topic of his/her choosing.
• To nurture further his/her skills in formulating appropriate research questions, developing a research agenda, planning and conducting a research programme, analysing and evaluating materials and data generated, and communicating the findings by a fixed deadline.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Read widely in the chosen area of study, and to master a relevant literature
- 2. Design, set up, plan and write up a piece of business research
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 3. Use independent study skills including the use of the library, relevant databases
- 4. Manage and document regular meetings and updates with supervisors
- 5. Present literatures, research design and findings in an appropriate academic format
- 6. Develop argument development, justification and presentation
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 7. Identify strategic options
- 8. Evaluate the success and limitations of different strategies
- 9. Manage time, resources and the time of supervisors
- 10. Take responsibility for the direction and management of a research project through sustained attainment
- 11. Be able to write professional documents and disseminate research findings
- 12. Be able to respond effectively to critique and review
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Dissertation Outline||1500 words||1-12||Verbal Feedback|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Dissertation||Re-submission of Dissertation||1-12|
Meetings with supervisor.
Presentation of research findings at departmental forum
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
As appropriate for dissertation topic in agreement with Supervisor.
Module has an active ELE page?
Last revision date