Qualitative Research Methods
This module prepares students for conducting independent research using qualitative methods. It aims to introduce students to qualitative research methods and provide them with an understanding of the underlying theoretical frameworks and the use of qualitative methods. Students will have the opportunity to develop a qualitative research project that includes design, data collection, analysis, and report writing. This module is accessible to all students with an interest in conducting their own primary empirical research in management studies and it is a requirement for students on the MRes programmes.
Full module specification
|Module title:||Qualitative Research Methods|
BEMM158, BEM065, SOCM002A, BEMM067
|Duration of module:||
Duration (weeks) - term 1: |
- Prepare students for independent research informed by social science qualitative methods.
- Equip students to design, with minimal supervision and guidance, programmes of primary empirical research, taking into consideration issues of research ethics, data generation, data analysis and reporting of findings.
- Challenge students to critically evaluate the philosophical assumptions associated with different research paradigms, as they relate to the selection of approaches and the production of knowledge.
- Enable students in their future careers to have confidence in their abilities to analyse data including the use of computer aided qualitative data analysis software, commission research, or conduct research in the work place and wider operating environment.
- Equip students with report writing skills in order to present and interpret data in easily accessible ways.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Explain the potential role and value of qualitative research methods to social science research
- 2. Critically evaluate a wide range of alternative techniques, methods and data sources and types in the investigation of specialized research goals.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 3. Evaluate the circumstances under which particular qualitative methods might be used and select the most appropriate qualitative format for addressing a specific research question
- 4. Apply an appropriate range of advanced qualitative methods in the social sciences accurately and independently
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 5. Use computer programmes to select, analyse, present and communicate information independently and effectively
- 6. Synthesise a range of arguments clearly and systematically
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||22 (11 x 2 hours)||Seminars|
|Guided Independent Study||128||Reading and preparation for seminars Reading, analysis and drafting of assignments|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Project Proposal Presentation||15 minutes||1-6||Verbal|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Qualitative Research Project||100||3000 words||1-6||Written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Qualitative research project (3000 words)||Qualitative research project (3000 words)||1-6||July/August|
- Nature of qualitative research
- Qualitative-research in Social Sciences
- Ethical issues in qualitative research
- Qualitative research design
- Interviews and focus groups
- Observation and ethnography
- qualitative online research
- Analysing qualitative data
- Reporting qualitative research findings
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
This class reads and discusses a series of approximately 35 foundational articles/book chapters covering the key aspects of qualitative methodologies.
Module has an active ELE page?
Last revision date