CFA Refresher and Consolidation Course Part II
This module is intended to refresh and consolidate the theoretical and practical concepts learnt in Stage 1 and 2 for the Financial Services Professional Degree Apprenticeship students. CFA Institute updates the curriculum regularly to ensure that topics are relevant for investment management practitioners and that changes reflect actual practice. The aim is to identify the core competencies and the changes in the updated CFA Program and the latest curriculum. New case studies will be provided with in appealing way to engage with ethical decision making within a challenging investment landscape. The module summarises key CFA Program curriculum updates that reflect the practical knowledge and skills you need in today’s investment industry. Topics will include updates in the latest CFAcurriculum for the following areas: Financial Reporting and Analysis, Equity and Fixed-Income, Derivatives and Alternative Investments.
Full module specification
|Module title:||CFA Refresher and Consolidation Course Part II|
|Duration of module:||
Duration (weeks) - term 2: |
The aim of this module is to help students stay informed about the evolution of investment management and foster professionalism through continuing education. Any update in the latest CFA syllabus will be discussed. Students should be able to recognise the modern treatment of core topics in investments. New case studies will be presented to challenge students to evaluate firms’ and individuals’ policies and investment practices. The module will help students understand advances in technology that are affecting investment processes at many asset management firms and understand data science-related discussions.
New rulings and or pronouncements issued after the publication of readings in Financial Reporting and Analysis may cause some of the information covered in Stage 1 and Stage 2 to become dated. This module covers the latest readings in the evolution of financial services into a profession, the expectations for asset management professionals, and the challenges facing the profession.
The module addresses new content that acknowledge the varied needs and mandates of investors, covering products and strategies currently used in professional practice. An overview on the structure of the global asset management industry, examining major client segments and investment product types, will be provided. Several macro industry trends shaping the future of the asset management industry are also explored.
The module explains in detail any new knowledge that is not covered in the prior curriculum and provides students with a clear understanding of what is expected of them as CFA charterholders. The module takes a broader approach to the topics covered in the CFA curriculum, including real-world applications for how precise financial analysis can drive investment decision making. The overall consolidation of the module provides insights for improved decision making in investment management.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. Evaluate expectations of and challenges for investment management professionals
- 2. Appraise the elements of effective investment governance
- 3. Describe the types of income and costs associated with owning and manging an equity portfolio and their potential effects on portfolio performance
- 4. Assess elements of a mangers investment philosophy that influence the portfolio construction process
- 5. Discuss how assets under management, position size, market liquidity and portfolio turnover affect equity portfolio construction decisions
- 6. Identify key aspects of updated financial regulations of financial institutions
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 7. Evaluate the potential benefits of shareholder engagement and the role an equity manager might play in shareholder engagement
- 8. Discuss risk measures that are incorporated in equity portfolio construction and describe how limits set on these measures affect portfolio construction
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 9. Develop a sound knowledge of the investment management products, and their features and benefits, relevant to your role
- 10. Understand the impact the external environment has on Financial Services as appropriate to your role, together with relevant best practice.
- 11. Identify opportunities to drive higher performance and improve service/processes delivered, including sharing and looking outside of your team for best practice
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching Activities||35 hours (5 days)||Workshops|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching activities||8 hours||Online lectures and seminars|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching activities||4 hours||Revision|
|Guided independent study||103 hours||Reading and research, web-based activities|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Mock Exam||2-hour exam||1-11||Marks and feedback|
|Online Discussion||Online discussion contributions||1-11||Online discussion feedback from peers and lecturer|
|Weekly online practices||Four exercises||1-11||Correct answers on ELE|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Exam||100||2-hour written exam||1-11||Marks and feedback|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|Exam||2-hour written exam||1-11||In line with University regulations|
Defer – as first time
Refer – capped at 40%
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Equity and Fixed-Income
- Alternative Investments
- Final Consolidation
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
- Annual CFA® Program Changes, Members' Guide to Practitioner-Relevant Updates, CFA Institute.
Module has an active ELE page?
Last revision date