IT Management & Professional Skills
This module will give you an overview of the current IT market and examine the necessary skills including project management, personal skills and ITIL (IT Service Management Approach).
Full module specification
|Module title:||IT Management & Professional Skills|
|Duration of module:||
Duration (weeks) - term 1: |
12Duration (weeks) - term 2:
11Duration (weeks) - term 3:
This module aims to give an insight into the current IT market as well as equip the students with the skills required to become a successful IT project manager.
ILO: Module-specific skills
- 1. demonstrate understanding of the IT Service Management Approach (ITIL);
- 2. understand the importance of project management within the current IT market;
- 3. demonstrate understanding of the professional skills that are needed in the current IT market.
ILO: Discipline-specific skills
- 4. understand the ways in which IT projects can be managed;
- 5. apply the Service Management Approach (ITIL);
- 6. demonstrate the relevant professional skills.
ILO: Personal and key skills
- 7. understand and apply the Service Management Approach (ITIL);
- 8. demonstrate the required professional skills for an IT project manager;
- 9. maintain a seminar diary.
Learning activities and teaching methods (given in hours of study time)
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
Details of learning activities and teaching methods
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||22||Lectures|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||8||Individual assessed work|
|Guided independent study||120||Guided independent study|
|Form of assessment||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Coursework Seminar Journal (Formative)||4-5 pages||2,3,4,8,9||Feedback sheet|
Summative assessment (% of credit)
|Coursework||Written exams||Practical exams|
Details of summative assessment
|Form of assessment||% of credit||Size of the assessment (eg length / duration)||ILOs assessed||Feedback method|
|Coursework seminar journal||30||7-8 pages||2,3,4,8,9||Feedback sheet|
|Coursework skills portfolio||30||7-8 pages||2,3,4,6,8||Written and oral|
|Coursework ITIL (foundation)||40||10-12 pages||1,2,3,4,5,7||Written|
Details of re-assessment (where required by referral or deferral)
|Original form of assessment||Form of re-assessment||ILOs re-assessed||Timescale for re-assessment|
|All above||Coursework (100%)||All||Completed over summer with a deadline in August|
All referred/deferred assessments will be by re-submission of individual failed assignments.
- introduction to the module;
- guru lectures (every other week);
- ITIL (six lectures to present foundational material);
- professional skills: interviews and assessments, cv, presentation (five lectures some of which are given by an external employer).
Indicative learning resources - Basic reading
Sharm Manwani (2008) IT-Enabled Business Change: Successful Management. British Computing Society.
Module has an active ELE page?
Last revision date