Professor Steve McCorriston
Professor of Agricultural Economics
+44 (0) 1392 723848
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Professor Steve McCorriston is currently Professor of Agricultural Economics. He was Head of the Department of Economics at the Business School from 2005 to 2011 and has previously served as Director for Research. He has acted as a consultant to the OECD, the UN FAO, DEFRA as well as private organisations. His research has informed the development of a bespoke tool for DEFRA for forecasting food price inflation in the UK. He is currently coordinating the Transparency of Food Pricing (TRANSFOP) project, a €1 Million EU-wide project funded by the European Commission, the Consortium involving 13 universities and research institutes across 10 EU countries.
Professor McCorriston has also recently been involved in a large research project funded by the Australian government on food security and market reforms in India. He is Editor of the European Review of Agricultural Economics (effective January 2012) and has previously served as an Associate Editor of the American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Professor McCorriston’s research interests focus on commodity and food markets, with a particular emphasis on trade and competition issues. Related research covers FDI and taxation issues and the links between environmental policy and trade. He has presented his research widely including invited papers throughout Europe, North America and China. His research has been published widely and in 2008 was awarded the “Quality of Policy Contribution” prize for his paper with Donald MacLaren (University of Melbourne) for his paper on state trading published in the European Economic Review
BA (Strath), MSc (R'dg)
Awards and Honours
- Quality of Policy Contribution Award 2007, European Association of Agricultural Economists
Conferences and invited presentations
- Several including keynote and plenary papers at conferences in the US and Europe.
- Editor, European Review of Agricultural Economics, (2011-present)
- Member, Editorial Board, European Review of Agricultural Economics, (2000-present)
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, (2002-2006)
- Chair of the Programme Committee, European Association of Agricultural Economists, tri-annual Meeting, Zurich (2011)
- International Economics
Professor McCorriston is currently teaching the 3rd module International Economics. He has also taught International Economics on the MSc degree and a module on ‘Commodity Futures Markets’.