Professor Sally Howes OBE
Professor, Director of the Index Centre
I joined INDEX in its first year, to support business management and development in a part time capability. I have a portfolio career, currently holding a diverse range of chair and non-executive positions. I also act as an expert assisting government in digital transformation, working for the Cabinet Office
My background is in software engineering and as a technology entrepreneur initially, then leading the national trade association for aerospace and defence and more recently moving into senior positions in MOD (Commercial Director) and the National Audit Office (Executive Leader in digital and innovation).
In the HEI sector, I sat on Council, the Audit Committee and Nominations Committee at Surrey University until summer 2019 and I am a member of the Fellowship Election Panel for the Centre for Science and Policy at Cambridge University.
- MA Cantab
Awards and Honours
- OBE, services to the space industry, 2004
- Chair, UK Space Agency (from May 2019)
- Chair, Research Park, Surrey University (from August 2018)
- Independent non-executive director, Joint investment Board, Parliament (from July 2017)
- Independent non-executive director, Copyright Licencing Agency (from April 2017)
- Associate, Infrastructure and Projects Authority, Cabinet Office (from April 2017
- Govstart Programme Mentor, Public (from July 2017)