Professor Jesse Segers
+31 30 291 3000
Jesse Segers is driven by bridging the gap between theory & practice, strategy & operations, self & other serving behavior, head & hart. He believes that by doing so, the world becomes a better place.
Jesse Segers joined Exeter University in 2019 as a Honorary Professor. He is since 2018 the Dean of an independent interuniversity institute, called SIOO, specialized in post-university education on change management, consulting and leadership in the Netherlands.
He is the former Associate Dean of Education & Master Programs, and Co-director of the Expertise Centre on Leadership, and Academic Director of the Masterclass Leadership for Advanced Leadership at the Antwerp Management School, Belgium. He is a former visiting professor of organizational behavior of the Northern Illinois University, USA.
Before pursuing an academic career, he worked in several national and international HR-roles in the headquarters of a global organization, and in the HR-consulting world
He received his Ph.D. in Applied Economics from the University of Antwerpen in Belgium. He has a Master in industrial psychology from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and studied two years of gestalt therapy and 1 year of gestalt counseling.
He published 6 books, and more than 100 papers in both top academic journals such as Academy of Management Learning & Education, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Human Resource Management, Human Resource Management Review, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Computers in Human Behavior, as well as practitioners’ journals.
He (co)-supervised 7 Phd students.
- 2017 Winner of the Innovative Teaching Award of Antwerp Management School with the Expertise Center of Leadership
- 2017 The dissertation of one of my Phd students (Mariam El Ouiridi) is among the top 25 most accessed dissertations and theses in 2017 of ProQuest® Dissertations & Theses Global™ database
- 2015 AIMAC: Best Paper Doctoral Symposium
- 2013 Elected as a distinguished practitioner by the European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology
- 2012 EIASM: 2nd runner up Best Paper Award
- 2011 Price Herman Deleeck of the University of Antwerp: best PhD dissertation of the social and human sciences of the University of Antwerp
- 2011 Acerta-FWO Price: runner up best PhD dissertation in social sciences in Belgium
- 2009 International Conference of the Dutch HRM network: nominated for Best Paper Award
- Leadership and organizational development
- Middle managers
My research interests is linked to how individuals, leaders, teams, and organizations can change. Specific attention is given to leadership, middle managers, and systems thinking.
Key publications | Publications by category | Publications by year
No publications found
- Dean/CEO of Sioo
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of NSO-CNA Leadership Academy
I design and teach leadership development programs for executives and incompany programs. My focus there is typically a systematic and historical perspective on leadership, the interplay between top and middle managers and an integral look at leadership development.
Additionally, I teach various formats on power and politics in organizations.
I also coach executives and boardrooms.