Lecturer in Management
+44 (0) 1392 726875
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Lecturer in Human Resource Management & Business (Strategy, Leadership, Management, Innovation).
Particularly interested in the convergence of business and technology strategies driving the need for management IT skills development.
MSc HR Management
BSc Mathematics for Business
CIPD Level 7
Public sector experience (5 years)
- Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service
- Probation Service (Dorset, Devon & Cornwall Community Rehabilitation Company)
Founder Manager - established & ran suite of businesses (13 years)
- 5 star gold eco tourism accommodation built and operated, rare breed farming, organic beauty product development & turnkey solutions for self-catering accommodation
Director level IT start-up experience (20+ years)
- UNICORN 6th employee in EMEA Director of PR EMEA & Marketing Manager Northern Europe building a disruptive market segment (middleware) with $50M VC investment from Warburg Pincus
- Managed World's first IoT press release jointly with Nokia and LG 1999 (internet enabled fridge)
- Worked in IT roles including Managing Consultant, Project Manager, Team Leader, Business Analyst for large scale IT integration projects within numerous industries, designing and managing software development.
- Sponsored by IBM for mathematics undergraduate final year studies. Monte Carlo analysis of Worldwide computer hard drive marketplace. Competitive analyst undergraduate industrial placement year.
Customer accounts include:
Oil & Gas
- BP, Amerada Hess, Agip, British Gas Group, Enterprise Oil
- Eurotunnel project, British Airways, London Underground, Glasgow Underground, TFL
- Employment Services DWP, HM Prison Services, HM Customs & Revenue, Hong Kong Police, Interpol
- South West Water, Lyonnaise des Eaux, Anglian Water, National Grid (NGC), Southern Electric,
First Hydro Electric, British Gas
- E*Trade, Lastminute.com, Whole Foods Market, British Airways
- Nokia, Motorola, Orange, AT&T
- Kelloggs Group, HP Bulmers, Billiton Bogasu Gold Mine, Frigoscandia, GE
- Boeringer Enngelheim, Glaxo Smithkline
- SWIFT, NASDAQ, London Stock Exchange, ABB Amro, HSBC, Santander
PR Director coordinating the World's first press release for the Internet of Things with Nokia and LG using our software to control the first internet-enabled fridge from a mobile phone.
Employee no 6 in EMEA in the World's largest VC start-up (at that time) later acquired by Oracle, prior to IPO NASDAQ (BEAS) and instrumental contributor to global rebranding campaign for the business.
- Predictive analytics
- Gender equality
- Effective transfer of research to business
Fiona is considering areas for PhD research.
Supervising MBA and MSc Human Resource Management student dissertations
Key publications | Publications by category | Publications by year
No publications found
- Fiona is a Fellow of the RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce)
- Member of the APM (Association of Project Managers)
- Member of the ILM (Institute of Leadership Management)
- Member of the PPMA (Public Service People Manager’s Association)
- Theory & Practice of Management (BEM1016(A))
- Human Resource Management (BEM2021)
Fiona considers seminars a key part in consolidating learning through the application of knowledge, developing many skills including:
- team working
- organisation and time management
- leadership and followship
- negotiation, persuasion and conflict resolution
- active listening
- appreciation of difference
- constructive feedback (giving and receiving)
Fiona welcomes the opportunity to get to know students and provide specific feedback and help whilst working in seminar groups and via dissertation supervision and is happy to provide additional assistance via email scheduled meetings.
- BEM1022 - Introduction to Leadership Studies
- BEM1028 - Introduction to Business and Management
- BEMM395 - HR Analytics
- BUS2001 - Business Awareness: Theory and Practice