Dr Richard Adams
NEMODE Senior Research Fellow
+44 (0) 1392 722549
Building:One, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4ST, UK
Richard joined the University of Exeter Business School in March 2013 as NEMODE Senior Research Fellow in the Centre for Innovation and Services Research. NEMODE is an RCUK funded project aimed at studying the development of New Economic Models in the Digital Economy.
He has an MA (Hons) in Medieval History (St Andrews) and an MBA (University of Strathclyde). He was awarded his PhD – Innovation management in healthcare - in 2004 from Cranfield University, for which he was awarded the Director’s Prize for best thesis in the School of Management.
Richard has previously held academic posts at Cranfield University, Imperial College London with the NHS’s UK Cochrane Centre part of the Cochrane Collaboration and a secondment to the Department for Business Innovation and Skills. Prior to reading for his PhD, Richard spent much of the 1990s working in economic development in the transitional economies of the former Warsaw Pact countries following the velvet revolutions of 1989 and 1990.
PhD, MBA, MA (Hons)
- Translational research, research into practice, user engagement
- Dynamics of the Digital Economy
- Innovation and sustainability
- Business model innovation
- Innovation in health care and services
- Innovation adoption and diffusion theory
- Methodology for research synthesis
- Geography of innovation
Current research activity
Richard is Senior Research Fellow on the NEMODE project led by Professor Roger Maull of the Centre for Innovation and Service Research. NEMODE is an RCUK-funded ‘Network-Plus’ connecting top-level research with trail-blazing digital technology firms. The project brings together the brightest and most innovative minds to inform academic research and public policy, to give support to innovative businesses in digital technologies.
Publications by category
Publications by year
Awards and Honours
- 2005 Winner: Emerald/EFMD 1st Annual Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards, Leadership and Organizational Development Category
- 2004 Winner: Director’s Prize for best thesis in School of Management
- Steering Committee member BAM e-business and e-government SIG
- Organising committee for DE 2013 Open Digital Conference
- Reviewer for: Academy of Management Conference, British Academy of Management Conference, British Journal of Management, International Journal of Management Reviews, International Journal of Innovation Management, International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, Journal of Health Organization and Management, Research Policy, Technology and Strategic Management, Technovation, European Journal of Marketing, The Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, The Open Management Journal
- Editorial Advisory Board – The Open Management Journal
- Peer reviewer panel member: NIHR Health Services and Delivery Research (HS&DR) programme
- ESRC Peer reviewer
- Founder Member The Evidence-Based Management Collaborative