Dr Rajesh Tharyan
Senior Lecturer in Finance
+44 (0) 1392 722544
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Dr Rajesh Tharyan joined the Xfi - Centre for Finance and Investment at the University of Exeter Business School as a lecturer in 2010. Dr Tharyan holds a PhD in Finance from the University of Exeter Business School and an MSc from the London School of Economics. He has extensive teaching experience at undergraduate, postgraduate level and on the MBA program at the Ecole Nationale Des Ponts et Chausees (India campus).
His research has been covered by Bloomberg and cited by the MSCI, The Times, The Economist, The Motley Fool, CityWire, BBC Radio4 Money Box among others. His research has also been cited in several regulatory reports of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA). His current research covers empirical asset pricing, block ownership, corporate debt, directors’ trading, mergers and acquisitions and corporate social responsibility.
MBA, MSc (lse), PhD (Exon), FHEA
- Asset Pricing and Cost of Capital.
- Block Ownership.
- Insider/Director’s trading.
- Green Finance/ESG/ Corporate Social responsibility.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Top Management Teams.
- Corporate Debt.
- £9150-GW4, Starter grant for setting up a Centre for Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility (CGSR). With leads from Bristol, Bath and Cardiff Universities, 2015.
£285,000-ESRC, Cost of Capital and Asset Pricing in the UK. With A. Gregory, C. Dargenidou, W. Pengguo, 2012.
Publications by category
Publications by year
- Research cited in a number of Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigations including the Energy Market Investigation Private Health care investigation, OFWAT price determination among others.
- Datasets of risk factors and portfolios and several characteristics-matched benchmark portfolios for the UK. Further details are available in Gregory, Tharyan and Christidis (2013)
- Reviewer for Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Corporate Finance, Financial Review, European Journal of Finance, Journal of Behavioural and Experimental Economics, Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, British Accounting Review, British Journal of Management and Journal of Business Ethics.
- External examination of PhDs at UWE Bristol, Nottingham University-Ningbo, Henley Business School-Reading.
Past External Positions
- Member of Academic Advisory Board - ESRC SWDTP
- Member of Placements Sub Panel - ESRC SWDTP
The module he currently teaches (BEAM029) provides a solid introduction to the foundations of financial theory, including decision making under uncertainty and utility theory, portfolio choice, asset pricing models and the stochastic discount factor approach to asset pricing, market efficiency and stock market anomalies and selected empirical evidence on these.He also supervises MSc dissertations.
Dissertation Modules (2020/21)
- BEAM007: Investment Analysis Dissertation
- BEFM020: Empirical Dissertation
- BEFM025: Applied Empirical Dissertation.
- BEAM031: Financial Instruments (MSc)
- MBAM953: Accounting and Finance (MBA)
- MBAM945: Corporate Finance (MBA)