Dr Ian Hipkin
Senior Lecturer in Management
+44 (0) 1392 725934
Building:One, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4ST, UK
Dr Ian Hipkin teaches Strategic Management. He has a BSc in Engineering, an MPhil and an MA. His PhD research was in technology transfer and enterprise asset management. He has published articles on quality, maintenance and production / operations management, and strategy with special interest in production competence and the use of technology in strategic alliances. Currently, his research interests are strategy and technology policy in conflict and developing country environments, including Afghanistan and Iraq.
He has consulted in strategy, operations, and enterprise asset management in many large companies in the UK, US, Canada, Europe, the Far East, Russia and Africa. Some of these include: Alcan, BP, Boots, Castrol, China Light and Power, Corus, De Beers Diamond Mining Company, Dista Products, Dofasco (Canada), Domtar (Canada), Du Pont, Ford, GlaxoSmithKlein, HJ Heinz, Hong Kong Housing Authority, Iron Ore Company of Canada, Kimberly Clark, Kowloon Canton Railway, Mercedes Benz, Merck, Ministry of Industry and Minerals (Iraq), Nederlandsche Aardoile Maatschappij, Nestlé, Sappi, SABMiller, Scott Paper, Scottish Hydro, SD Warren, Shell, Tioxide and Unilever.
BSc (Eng) (Natal), BCom, MA (South Africa), MPhil (Cape Town), MA (Exon), PhD (Aston)
- Strategic management of technology alliances
- Strategy and technology management in developing countries and conflict environments
Dr Hipkin's research interests lie in the areas of strategy and technology policy in conflict and developing country environments, including Afghanistan and Iraq. Firms in developed countries face a major challenge in understanding the nature of developing country markets, and are confronted by aggressive strategies by firms from emerging economies that better understand developing markets.
Dr Hipkin is currently supervising PhD students doing research in post conflict societies and developing countries.
- External examiner, University of Bath
- External examiner, University of Wales
- Member of MBA reviewer panel, Henley Management College
- Visiting lecturer, International University of Business and New Technology (Yaroslavl, Russia)
- Visiting lecturer, School of International Business, Reutlingen University, Germany
- Visiting lecturer, International Management Center, University of Graz, Austria
- Visiting lecturer, Bled Business School, Slovenia
- Visiting lecturer, University of Podlasie, Poland
- Visiting lecturer and external examiner, University of Cape Town
- Visiting lecturer, Gordon Institute of Business Science, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Editorial board for the following journals: International Journal of Technology Marketing, South African Business Review
Strategy is the central activity directing organisational decision making and integrating all functional disciplines. Strategy formulation is driven by innovation in all spheres of organisational endeavour and implementation focuses on the interface between disciplines. Teaching strategy therefore brings together the different facets of management so that students are taught to think about the cohesion that derives from good strategic management.
- BEM2007 - Operations Management
- BEMM114 - Managing Operations
- BEMM173 - International Operations Management