Professor Giovanna Michelon
Associate Professor of Accounting
+44 (0) 1392 725668
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Giovanna Michelon joined the Business School in May 2013. She was formerly an Assistant Professor at the University of Padova (Italy), at the Department of Economics and Management. Giovanna graduated with a PhD from the University of Padova, and has worked as a visiting scholar at the University of Birmingham (Birmingham, UK), Concordia University (Montreal, Canada) and University of Central Florida (Orlando, USA).
Giovanna’s work mainly relates to corporate social responsibility and governance and it has been published in academic journals such as the Journal of Business Ethics, Accounting and Business Research, Accounting Auditing and Accountability Journal.
Giovanna’s research focus is at the interface between corporate governance and social responsibility; broadly this involves: building upon a stakeholder-oriented approach to governance; investigating how governance (board and CEO’s characteristics) shapes firms’ social responsible activities and reporting practices; understanding the business case for CSR and exploring the role of CSR information for market participants and other stakeholders. She has recently been looking at the effects and implications of shareholders’ demands for CSR
- Director of the “Firms, Market and Value” Research Cluster
- Director of research-led education (2014-2016)
- Firms, Markets and Value
- Organisations in Transition
- Business, Institutions and Policy
- Sustainability & Circular Economy
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Shareholder Activism
- Social and Environmental Accounting and Accountability
- Corporate Disclosure
Giovanna has established an excellent track record of publications on CSR and, mostly importantly, she has significantly contributed to an emerging strand on how corporate governance drives CSR. CSR is an interdisciplinary area that has been investigated across different epistemologies and methodological approaches. Giovanna has been able to combine a broad knowledge of the field (across disciplines and approaches), with solid and rigorous technical and methodological skills, thus being recognized as a leading scholar in the arena. Visit her Google Scholar Profile here. Her SSRN profile is here.
Current research activity
- Arena C., Michelon G., and Trojanowski, G. Innovating for CSR: the influence of CEO hubris and directors capital on environmental innovation
- Bonetti P. Cho C.H., and Michelon G. Environmental disclosure and cost of capital: evidence from the Fukushima accident
- Bouten, L., Cho C.H., Michelon G. and Roberts, R.W. Does the choice of CSR performance rating provider matter?
- Michelon G., Patten, D.M. and Romi, A. Sustainability report assurance: are restatements a tool of professional development?
- Michelon G., Rodrigue M. and Trevisan, E. No pressure No diamonds: the role of shareholder activism on CSR trasparency
- Romi A., Michelon, G. and Longing S., The Impact of Cross-Sector Social Partnerships on Biodiversity Accountability: An Examination of the Corporate Response to Pollinator Decline.
Awards and Honours
- 2014 PRI Stichting Foundation Best Paper award at the Henley Centre for Governance, Accountability & Responsible Investment (GARI) 2nd International Conference on “Corporate Governance and Integrated Thinking”, Reading, 9-11 September
- Best Paper Award at the 2008 Italian Business Administration and Management Academia Annual Conference
- Member of the European Accounting Association
- Member of the Italian Accounting Association
- Member of the Centre for Social and Environmental Accounting Research
- Associate Editor of Sustainability Accounting Management and Policy Journal (2014 – present)
- Member of the Editorial Board of:
Accounting and the Public Interest (2015 - present)
Critical Perspectives on Accounting (2015 - present)
Social and Environmental Accountability Journal (2015 - present)
Economia & Management (2014 - present);
Financial Reporting (2013 - present);
Issues in Accounting Education (2013 - present);
International Business Research (2012 - present)
- Ad-hoc reviewer for Scientific Journals: Accounting Forum, Corporate Governance: an International Review, Corporate Governance: the International Journal of Business in Society, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, Financial Reporting, International Business Research, International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Management and Governance, Social and Environmental Accountability Journal, Sustainability Accounting Management and Policy Journal, Time & Society.
My main teaching goal is not just to make students understand the topics covered by the course, but also to involve them in the reasoning behind various issues and make them feel passionate about the subject. That is, I do not only teach contents, but also methods, ways of thinking and reasoning, push students to be critical and curious. What I really like students to learn is not just the “rule” or the “principle” or “topic” per se, I like to push them to deeper and greater reasoning. It is helping them developing a critical thinking attitude that makes the difference in problem solving situations.