Professor Christine Parkin Hughes
Director of Education and Student Experience for the Department of Management, Education Director for the Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL), and Associate Professor of Organisational Studies
+44 (0) 1392 725662
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Professor Christine Parkin Hughes joined the University of Exeter Business School in 2017 and is the Director of Education and Student Experience for the Department of Management, Education Director for the Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL), and Associate Professor of Organisational Studies. Chris holds the Business School and University Guild Teaching Award for Outstanding Research Support (2022), was nominated for the Guild Teaching Awards Contribution to Education (2019), and two SSTAR Inspirational Teaching Awards.
Chris, a registered teacher, has taught for around 25 years across compulsory and higher-education. Working with colleagues and external partners, she is committed to enhancing innovative teaching, learning and the student experience which in-turn add value and impact positively in the workplace. During the course of her career she has designed and led programmes of various levels and formats across a wide variety of settings, including doctoral college provision, traditionally-taught UG and PG degrees, work-based programmes and online delivery. She was part of the small team of colleagues to establish the University of Exeter’s business-focussed Degree Apprenticeship programmes, and is the Programme Director for the Chartered Manager DA.
Her research focusses on sustainability, in particular, human sustainability within the workplace. Her thesis explored the conceptualisation of sustainability by tomorrow’s managers.
Alongside education and research, Chris relishes being involved with small enterprise, particularly within the third-sector. She has derived great pleasure from owning and managing various successful small businesses over the years.
- Director of Education and Student Experience for the Department of Management
- Education Director for the Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL)
- Programme Director, DA Chartered Manager, BSc (Hons) Applied Business Management
- BA (Hons)
Key publications | Publications by category | Publications by year
No publications found
Professor Parkin Hughes has enjoyed a varied external engagement portfolio over the years, including:
- External Moderator, Reviewer and Validator (CIE) – University of Cambridge
- External Examiner – University of Reading, University of Lincoln and the University of Plymouth
- Senior Assessor and Assessment Materials Evaluating Committee (eProgrammes) – OCR
- National Assessment Authority Examiner
- External Examiner and Moderator – CIPD L7 Leadership & Management
- Approved Provider, Centre Manager and Internal Verifier for Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM)
- Research Development Framework (Domain D) – advisor and content developer for Plymouth University Doctoral College
- Content and Assessment Reviewer for OUP, McGraw Hill, Palgrave, Cengage
- The Global Undergraduate Awards: Judge and panel member
- Summit 2021: Panellist
- Ethics Challenge: Judge and panel member.
- Ministry of Defence ELCAS Approved Provider
Dr Christine Parkin Hughes has experience of teaching a diverse student population, from undergraduate to post-experience practitioners. She has taught across the business curriculum, though her core areas of teaching interest are Organisational Behaviour, Human Resource Management, Leadership and Human Sustainability. Whether online or more traditional face-to-face delivery, her approach focuses on engaging students with theoretical, practical and authentic aspects of the field. Chris tries to create encouraging, simulating and applied learning environments using problem-based, real-world learning methods which are embedded with practical applications and examples.