Professor Carlos Cortinhas
Associate Professor of Economics
+44 (0) 1392 725613
Streatham Court, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4PU, UK
Carlos Cortinhas finished his Economics PhD in June 2007. He studied at the University of Exeter, under the supervision of John Maloney, Malcolm Macmillen and Nigar Hashimzade. Before coming to Exeter, he completed his Masters at Kobe University, Japan, under the supervision of Shoji Nishijima. Aside from academia, Carlos has previously worked in banking (for the Industrial Bank of Japan, Tokyo) and in government institutions (for the Ministry for the Economy and Innovation, Portugal).
I am a contributor to the CORE Econ Project (https://www.core-econ.org/), an Associate of the Economics Network (https://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk/) and a member of the Steering Group of BCUR, the British Council of Undergraduate Research (https://www.bcur.org/).
- Member, Undergraduate Student Staff Liaison Committee
- Member, BSc Economics and Politics Board of Studies
- Deputy Head of the Department of Economics
- BSc (Minho), MSc (Kobe), PhD (Exeter)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Publications by category
Publications by year
Awards and Honours
- Monbusho (Japanese Ministry of Education) Scholarship, 1992-1996
- Member of The Economic Policy Research Centre (NIPE), University of Minho, Portugal
- External Examiner, University of Roehampton (2018/2021)
- Associate of the Economics Network
- Member of the Executive Group of the British Council of Undergraduate Research (BCUR)
- Chief External Examiner, University of Westminster (2016/17)
- Member of the Royal Economic Society
- Member of the American Economic Association
Carlos’ teaching interests cover Macroeconomics, Statistics (especially Applied Statistics) and International Trade both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has also taught a variety of other subjects over the past few years including Statistics, Economic Principles, International Trade, Macroeconomics among others.