Dr Bill Russell
Lecturer in Management
+44 (0) 1392 726464
Building:One, University of Exeter, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4ST, UK
Dr Russell leads the Strategic and Responsible Innovation Management and B2B Marketing modules on the Exeter MBA, as well as leading the Strategic Innovation Management Masters module. He is a keen advocate of the “Flipped Classroom” teaching method, and focuses on experiential learning in his teaching.
Bill has worked in globally focused marketing, commercial and Board positions for 27 years. He joined the Centre for Innovation and Service Research (ISR) at the University of Exeter Business School in 2012 from Emerald Group Publishing Ltd, where he had been a Board director for 12 years, responsible for sales and marketing activities. During his time at Emerald revenue, profits and staffing levels more than doubled. Particular achievements included a complete overhaul and repositioning of the brand in the digital environment, and the setting up and running of a global network of offices which drove significant growth, particularly in Asian markets.
He secured a strong grounding in B2B marketing and branding working with Castrol for 13 years. Highlights included managing Castrol’s international motorsport programme, developing B2B partnerships with Toyota and Honda, and operating as Sales and Marketing Director for Castrol Spain in Madrid. He has also worked for the American based Hallmark group as a Sales Director, responsible for customers such as Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons and Boots.
In the Academic sphere he has been a Visiting Professor at University College London, and has served on AACSB’s strategic Committee for Issues in Management Education (CIME). He is also a Director of Insight Consulting.
- BA (History), University of Nottingham
- PhD (Management Studies), University of Exeter
The Higher Education publishing sector has already transformed itself from a paper based world, to the flexible provision of digital journals, books and analytic services. To compete and win in the expanding - and fragmenting - global HE environment, publishers need to innovate and respond to changing stakeholder needs.
Through over 60 confidential face to face interviews with CEOs, Directors and Managers at Elsevier, Wiley, Macmillan, T&F, Sage, Emerald, Cambridge University Press, Harvard Business School Publishing, Institute of Physics Publishing, and The Royal Society, Bill has explored how they sense and respond to innovation signals in their core markets, and identify opportunities beyond their core environments – the environments where disruptive challenges emerge and new opportunities develop.
Key findings include:
- The importance of managing a portfolio of innovation and new product development opportunities across core, adjacent and transformative/peripheral environments
- The high impact of the “Rapid Change Core” on activities “Beyond the Core”
- Organisations with a workflow/service focus, rather than a product focus, explore opportunities more broadly, and use Big Data to inform decisions more effectively, than more narrowly focused firms
- Poor alignment of technology strategy, innovation/product development strategy and project management effectiveness is limiting the success of innovation initiatives
- Organizational ambidexterity is a challenge for publishers
Please contact Bill to learn more.
Publications by category
Publications by year
He teaches Business to Business (B2B) marketing on the One Planet MBA, and on undergraduate programmes.
- BEM3019 - Strategic Operations Management
- BEMM118 - Strategic Innovation Management
- MBAM909 - Strategic and Responsbile Innovation
- MBAM909A - Strategic and Responsible Innovation
- MBAM932 - B2B Marketing
- MBAM932A - B2B Marketing